2023 Lifeguard Classes
Looking to become a lifeguard??
Great job opportunities....make new friends...learn lifelong skills!
Classes are offered annually by Onondaga County Parks, Syracuse City Parks & New York State Parks.
Next class offered by Onondaga County Parks is in March 2023.
Click here to register & pay online.
To learn about classes, contact the following:
- Onondaga County Parks - Click here to register & pay online for March 2023 course. Questions, contact Gary Lopez at (315) 453-6712 x 6715 or email him at email@example.com.
- Syracuse City Parks - Click here for more information.
- New York State Parks - Click here to download NYS Qualification Procedures.
- American Red Cross - Click here for information about local classes, products & articles
There are multiple opportunities throughout the year to take lifeguarding classes. Class sizes range from 3-12 students on average with roughly 30 hours of classroom training required. Passing a strict pre-requisite swim class is also required to be eligible for the class.
Pre-Requisite Test includes:
- 300 yards without stopping (12 lengths of a 25-yard pool/3 football fields in length)
- Swim 20 yards, submerge to 12 ft. depth to recover a 10 lb. brick and return (swimming 20 yards on back, making contact with both hands-on brick)
- Swim 15 yards underwater
- Tread for 2 minutes, no hands, using kick of choice
Already a lifeguard??
Click here to download New York State Parks Qualifications Procedures
During your visit to Onondaga County Parks, you may be photographed, videotaped, or filmed by Onondaga County Parks or authorized parties. Your attendance/admission serves as permission for use of these images by Onondaga County Parks. Commercial photography or filming is prohibited without permission of Onondaga County Parks.