Located on picturesque countryside in western Onondaga County, the Hatchery was originally developed and operated as a joint venture between Onondaga County and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under a Works Project Administration Grant. One of only four county run hatcheries in the state, Carpenter's Brook has been in continuous operation since its inception in 1938 and produces 70,000+ Brook, Brown and Rainbow Trout annually. Staff and volunteers take great pride in stocking over 100 miles of streams and 10,000 acres of impoundments with 100% of the D.E.C. recommendations for these waters. These efforts are necessary to serve the region with the state's largest per capita fish license sales and contribute significantly to local fishing-oriented retail sales of $4 million/year.
Looking for information about fishing in Onondaga County? Click here for locations, resources and more.
Carpenter's Brook features:
- Fish production for farm pond stocking
- 2-yr old stocking program, producing 9-17" trophy fish
- Seasonal fishing programs for families, seniors and special needs groups. Click here for more information.
- An opportunity to explore nature & feed fish in a quiet, country setting
- Fish food for sale. $1 & $2 bags, cash only (no change available.)
- Self-guided tour option. Download the brochure.
- Small "fish themed" playground and public picnic areas
- Volunteer opportunities including Trout Stocking, from late March to mid May. Call the Hatchery for more information or to sign up.
- Brookside Shelter, available by reservation
- An active Friends group dedicated to supporting the hatchery. Click here to learn more.
- Trout Stocking Hotline - Click here for the weekly stocking report or call (315) 689-0003
The hatchery's annual stocking run throughout Onondaga County begins in late March and continues until all fish are released. Anglers can call to find out how many fish were stocked in their favorite streams. The hotline will be updated every Thursday throughout the season and provide information from the preceding week. (315) 689-0003
Friends of Carpenter's Book Fish Hatchery
The Friends of Carpenter’s Brook Fish Hatchery is a 501(c)(3) Not-for-Profit organization that supports the Hatchery and its many programs. Since its inception in 1994, the Friends have undertaken a number of projects to enhance staff development, increase educational and recreational opportunities for hatchery visitors, and improve fish rearing capabilities. Some of their many accomplishments include the Brookside Picnic Shelter, purchase of 75 acres of land for the Hatchery, construction of the Time Out To Fish Pond, installation of a disabled access playground, and installation of a backup generator for Hatchery systems. Click here to learn more.
Help the Friends of Carpenter's Brook...
Syracuse artist, Tom Lenweaver will donate a portion of the proceeds of the sale of "The Trout of Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery" to benefit the Friends of Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery. The print is a compilation of his previously completed paintings of the three trout reared at the Hatchery. Available double matted and framed, as shown (13"x22") $110 or print alone (12"x19") $45. For more information or to order email firstname.lastname@example.org.
And make sure to visit Tom’s website to learn more about the award-winning work he does as an artist and know that he has proudly supported sportsmen and women in our area for many years.
All works Copyright Tom Lenweaver Illustration/Design. All rights reserved.
During your visit to Onondaga County Parks, you may be photographed, videotaped, or filmed by Onondaga County Parks or authorized parties. Your attendance/admission serves as permission for use of these images by Onondaga County Parks. Commercial photography or filming is prohibited without permission of Onondaga County Parks.