Already a lifeguard??
- Onondaga County Parks has current openings at both Jamesville Beach & Oneida Shores.
- Click here to apply
- Questions?? Contact Gary Lopez at (315) 882-2202 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download New York State Parks Qualifications Procedures
Looking to become a lifeguard??
Great job opportunities....make new friends...learn lifelong skills!
Classes are offered annually by Onondaga County Parks, Syracuse City Parks & New York State Parks.
NEXT CLASS: Thursday, June 8 - Thursday, June 15, 7:00pm-9:30pm at Nottingham High School in Syracuse. Click here for more info & to sign up.
To learn more about classes, contact the following:
- Onondaga County Parks - Contact Gary Lopez at (315) 453-6712 x 6715 or email@example.com.
- Syracuse City Parks - Click here for more information.
- New York State Parks - Click here to download NYS Qualification Procedures.
- American Red Cross - Click here for information about local classes, products & articles
There are multiple opportunities throughout the year to take lifeguarding classes. Class sizes range from 3-12 students on average with roughly 30 hours of classroom training required. Passing a strict pre-requisite swim class is also required to be eligible for the class.
Pre-Requisite Test includes:
- 300 yards without stopping (12 lengths of a 25-yard pool/3 football fields in length)
- Swim 20 yards, submerge to 12 ft. depth to recover a 10 lb. brick and return (swimming 20 yards on back, making contact with both hands-on brick)
- Swim 15 yards underwater
- Tread for 2 minutes, no hands, using kick of choice
During your visit to Onondaga County Parks, you may be photographed, videotaped, or filmed by Onondaga County Parks or authorized parties. Your attendance/admission serves as permission for use of these images by Onondaga County Parks. Commercial photography or filming is prohibited without permission of Onondaga County Parks.